UK Labour’s Corbyn Calls For Vote of No Confidence on Theresa May
Skerdian Meta • 2 min read
The leader of the opposition Labour Party in the UK said a while ago that he will announce no confidence vote in the British Parliament for Prime Minister Theresa May. he said that is May doesn’t announce a date for a vote on the Brexit deal as soon as possible. He said that the Labour Party will only ask for her head on a plate and not the whole government.
Theresa May’s coalition DUP Party of Northern Ireland has rejected it. With their support, the no-confidence vote is bound to overthrow Theresa May but they don’t like the Brexit deal and they don’t want a no-confidence vote for May.
A heated debate is taking place in the British Parliament at the moment and Jeremy Corbyn added that a responsible Prime Minister would have put a deal before the parliament this week. Theresa May responded quickly, so here are her comments:
- The backstop will not need to be triggered
- If the backstop was triggered, it would be temporary
- There is no plot to keep us in the backstop
- Comments from European leaders have legal status
- Implementation period could be extended if the backstop isn’t in place
- There is an explicit termination clause in the backstop, it can only ever be temporary
- Looking at ways of empowering parliament over backstop
- Discussions continue backstop with EU
- May says meaningful vote will take place in the third week of January (week starting Jan 14)
- Cabinet will discuss no deal plans on Tuesday
- Do not imagine that if we vote this down that a new deal will magically appear
She promised to bring back the deal to the British Parliament in the third week of January, so she has about a month left to wrap it up. The UK will leave the European Union in 14 weeks, so the clock is ticking.