Yearly Highs In View For GBP/USD - Forex News by FX Leaders
GBP/USD

Yearly Highs In View For GBP/USD

Posted Friday, December 6, 2019 by
Shain Vernier • 1 min read

Next week is a big one on both the Brexit and U.K. political fronts. The 12 December U.K. election is rapidly approaching, and with it, a possible change in leadership. For holders of the pound Sterling, the pending election has been a welcomed sight. Recent valuations have been extremely bullish and the GBP/USD has broken out of consolidation near 1.3000.

The current odds on who will be the next U.K. Prime Minister overwhelmingly point to Boris Johnson. According to political wagering website Predictit.org, Boris Johnson has an 85% chance of winning, followed by Jeremy Corbyn at 15%. 

With a tentative U.K./E.U. divorce deal having already been agreed to by Parliament, one has to wonder if the Brexit saga is finally wrapping up. Backers of the GBP/USD appear to think so. Rates are currently on the march toward 2019’s highs established last March.

GBP/USD Breaks Out To The Bull

Despite this morning’s strong collection of U.S. economic metrics, the GBP/USD has held on to daily gains. Rates have finally departed the 1.3000 handle and are headed north rapidly.

GBP/USD, Weekly Chart
GBP/USD, Weekly Chart

Bottom Line: At this point, the GBP/USD is closing in on last March’s yearly high at 1.3380. Barring any extraordinary election developments, this level will likely be up for scrutiny ahead of 1 January 2020.

If we continue to see bullish participation in this pair, a selling opportunity from beneath yearly highs will come into play. Until elected, I will have sell orders in queue from 1.3374. With an initial stop loss at 1.3411, this trade produces 75 pips on a better than 1:2 risk to reward management plan.

Check out our free forex signals
Follow the top economic events on FX Leaders economic calendar
Trade better, discover more Forex Trading Strategies

About the author

Shain Vernier // US Analyst
Shain Vernier has spent over 7 years in the market as a professional futures, options and forex trader. He holds a B.Sc. in Business Finance from the University of Montana. Shain's career includes stretches with several proprietary trading firms in addition to actively managing his own accounts. Before joining FX Leaders, he worked as a market analyst and financial writer.
Related Articles
Comments

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of