UK’s Slack Threatens With More Lockdowns if There are Regional Outbreaks
Skerdian Meta • 1 min read
UK Prime Minister spokesman James Slack made some comments a while ago. The UK started to reopen today after about three months of house arrest for everyone, like in most parts of the globe. The GBP took this positively, with GBP/USD climbing around 100 pips higher during the European session. But, Slack is threatening more regional lockdowns if there is a spike in numbers in certain parts of the country.
Comments from Boris Johnson’s spokesman Slack:
- We will monitor situation and reimpose measures for local outbreaks
- Russia should not be readmitted to G7 unless it ceases aggressive and destabilizing activity
- We won’t hesitate to reimpose local lockdowns if needed
- If public follows social distancing guidelines than R-number unlikely to rise above one
- Violence in US over recent days is very alarming, people must be allowed to protest peacefully
- We hope the latest round of Brexit talks will be constructive
This should be negative for the GBP, considering that another lockdown would kill the economy. But the market has tuned back into the Brexit drama, so that should keep GBP moving until year-end.