Boris Johnson is Confident the UK Will Leave on October 31
Skerdian Meta • 1 min read
The opposition in the UK has been trying everything to stop Boris Johnson from pulling the UK out of the EU when the Brexit deadline comes on October 31. They managed to get on board a number of Conservative party members who voted to make Brexit without a deal illegal.
But, Johnson has been sounding pretty confident that the UK is leaving the EU on that date, deal or no deal. He made some comments just a while ago:
- Good chance we will get a deal despite the surrender act
- Can’t hide from an election forever
- If there is no Brexit deal we will simply come out of the EU
- After coming out, we will come to the electorate as a moderate one nation party
- Takes all threats to lawmakers very seriously and cabinet office is working hard to address that
By “surrender act” he means the voting in the British Parliament to make no-deal Brexit illegal. According to these comments, Johnson is for new elections as well, but only after Brexit at the end of October. He also made a couple of comments earlier:
- Very long way to go to secure Brexit deal
- Barclay to go tomorrow for talks with Barnier
Yes, it is very difficult getting a deal, which both parties need. They are still in contact but things have become so complicated now that no one really knows how all this will end up.